It's winter and for people like myself who live outside the tropics we have piles of snow outside and when this happens colds come along. Well sorta, since I've stopped travelling on public transport and meet less clients I get less illnesses unsurprisingly.
So you've got a runny nose? Headache? Cough and sneeze a lot? Do you reach for the night nurse or your sachets of Lemsip? Or do you go visit your nearest health professional?
No of course you don't, you browse on a web page of TCG and look for a miracle cure of course!
In ancient times it was different you boiled brown sugar (had to be be brown for some reason) water and ginger. The ginger is the active ingredient. Which is supposed to cure things.
The recipe is
Hot Cola With Ginger And Lemon
- 1 can (330cc) Cola coke is supposed to be best but your Walmart Asda cola will do.
- 6 slices (1.2-inch) fresh ginger
- 4 slices lemon
- Slice the ginger carefully removing all of the skin.
- Hammer the bits of ginger with the side of your meat clever (All Chinese kitchens should have one)
- Hammer the bits of lemon in a similar manner
- Then place lemon slices in a mug.
- Pour the Cola and ginger slices in a saucepan.
- Boil it.
- Pour into mug.
- Gag at the foul sugary sweet taste which reminds you of the time you worked near a Starbucks with the horrible sickly sweet smell wafting through the windows constantly.
What it does to you?
Makes you gag
OTOH it is supposed to disperse phlegm and also ease coughing.
Improve blood circulation
Chase out cold
It sort of amazes me that the Coca Cola company haven't tried to flog this in China yet coke with Ginger. They'd make a packet since there are tons of heath drinks in 7-11s in HK and family marts in Mainland China. Normally 10-50 varieties of chilled tea, cola, 50 types of beer (blue girl beer is horrible though).